LWVNE Sponsors Redistricting Video Poetry Contest for Ages 16+
The League of Women Voters of Nebraska invites Nebraskans age 16 and older to participate in a Redistricting Video Poetry contest. First, second and third place cash prizes will be the awarded. The deadline to apply is Feb. 14.
To enter, upload a video poem via the Drop Box button below.
The video file’s title should begin with your last name (for example, Mason.MP4). You should also upload a DOC or PDF titled the same (e.g., Mason.doc, etc.) that includes your full name, age (if under 18), address, phone number, email, the text of the poem, and a short bio.
Redistricting Video Poetry/SLAM Contest Information & Rules:
- Prizes: First, $100; Second, $75; Third, $50
- Deadline: Feb. 14. Winners announced Feb. 21 by email
- Format: video
- Duration: 1-2 minutes (give or take)
- Age: 16 and up
- Signed permission is required from legal guardians for participants under age 18 for their videos to be posted on social media and the LWVNE website. Consent for publication must be signed by applicants.
- Content: Redistricting requirements, constitutional requirements, gerrymandering, unfair representation, preservation of communities of interest, how voters lose power under gerrymandering, packing and cracking.
- Tone: Nonpartisan (no digs on politicians or parties). No profanity.
- Audience: Poets should consider a general audience and project a wide appeal. At the same time, poems will be used to target students and legislative advocates.
- Issues of Redistricting should address:
- Definition of terms: redistricting, gerrymandering, packing, cracking.
- Constitutional protections: one person, one vote; unfair representation of minority communities; voters of the party not in power.
- May suggest how states are working to create independent commissions to redraw district lines instead of using the politicians who have a vested interest in how the maps are drawn.
Coaches and others may contact Carol Dennison for assistance during the process at email@example.com.
- Redistricting Resources – League of Women Voters of Nebraska
- The man who rigged America’s election maps. Explains how one man, Thomas Hofeller, affected recent gerrymandering. Makes most components understandable. Lots of documented proof.
- Gerrymandering Explained. Thomas Wolf from the Brennan Center discusses gerrymandering and the Supreme Court hearings in 2019.
- Gerrymandering: Because America can hack it’s own elections. The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. Funny, R-rated.
- Gerrymandering: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO). Funny, R-Rated.
- All About Redistricting. Ideas about reform.
Leave a Reply
The League of Women Voters of Nebraska is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Your gift to the League of Women Voters of Nebraska, a 501(c)(3) organization, or the League of Women Voters of Nebraska Education Fund, also a 501(c)(3) organization, is tax deductible. The League of Women Voters of Nebraska does not endorse the contents of any web pages to which it links.
Thank you Speaker @mikehilgers for changes to allow for public access during covid. #neleg #nebraska #omahaRead More
@GovRicketts priorities are tax relief, property tax cap, new prison, expanded broadband, military & veterans and spending growth. #neleg #nebraska #omahaRead More