Past Legislative Sessions
The 106th Legislature, 2nd Session
The 106th Nebraska Legislature, 2nd session adjourned August 13, 2020, Sine Die.
LB 996 – Data collection program to improve broadband availability approved July 21. Signed by Governor Ricketts on July 24, 2020. This was one of our priority bills for the 2020 LWVNE Legislative Day.
Governor Ricketts vetoed the following bills:
LB 238 – Change requirements for witnessing death penalty executions
LB 515 – Change provisions relating to the Student Discipline Act
LB 607 – Change provisions relating to nail technology and body art
LB 607A – Appropriation for LB607
LB 1004 – Change provisions relating to the age of majority, the administration and supervision of parole, and eligibility for parole
LB 1004A – Appropriation for LB1004
LB 1060 – Include hair textures and protective hairstyles within the definition of race under the Nebraska Fair Employment Practice Act
LB 1089 – Provide a high school graduation requirement relating to federal student aid
General Action Alerts
- This is a LWVNE Call to Action: Tell Governor Ricketts to Reconsider Accepting Emergency Food Aid Through SNAP for Nebraskans
Nebraska is one of only two states in the nation to refuse this COVID-19 aid benefit. This emergency food aid does not come out of our state budget. Call Governor Ricketts ASAP at 402-471-2244 and urge him to accept emergency SNAP food aid to feed Nebraska children and their parents in these challenging economic times.
Legislative Action Alerts
To read a CALL TO ACTION on:
LB 283 With amendment 2119, requests the University of Nebraska to create an effective plan to meet the challenges of extreme weather events (climate change). (Failed to advance 7/23/20)
- LB 924 Requires ant-bias law enforcement training. (Passed legislature 7/31/20, 40-0; Signed by governor 8/6/20)
- LB 1061 The Child Protection and Family Safety Act delineates the procedures used in response to a report of child abuse or neglect. (Passed legislature 7/21/20; Signed by governor 7/24/20)
LB 1207 Adopts the Redistricting Act. (Indefinitely postponed 8/13/20)
News Releases/Op-eds/Letters to Editors of Newspapers
- Letter to Editor by Government Policy Director Sheri St. Clair published by the Lincoln Journal Star on September 27, 2020, on the importance of voter involvement the redistricting process.
- Article by LWVNE Social Policy Co-Director Carol Dennison published by The Daily Record on August 12, 2020, on rural broadband funding supported by the League.
- Letter published in the Omaha World Herald’s Public Pulse on June 20, 2020, on the importance of mailing early vote by mail ballot requests to all registered Nebraska voters.
- Letter published in the Omaha World Herald’s Public Pulse on June 14 , 2020, supporting LB 924, which requires anti-bias law enforcement training.
- News release distributed on March 23, 2020, to all Nebraska newspapers via the Nebraska Press Association, “League of Women Voters of Nebraska Partners with Nebraskans for Independent Redistricting.”
1st Session (2019)
Read a letter by LWVNE Action Vice President Sherry Miller and LWVNE Health Care Director Phyllis Salyards supporting LR 170 heard by the Health and Human Services Committee. LR 170 provides for an interim study to examine the Department of Health and Human Services’ plan to submit a demonstration project waiver for the medical assistance program under section 1115 of the Social Security Act (Medicaid).
Interested in Supporting our Cause?