The League actively engages with the Nebraska Legislature. Before each legislative session, members of the state board of directors review bills and identify priority bills based on our issues program. We testify before committees; write op-eds and letters to the editors of newspapers; contact government officials through e-mails, phone calls and letters; hold an annual Legislative Day; and, in general, encourage our members to take action.
The League and the Nebraska Legislature
Before each legislative session, members of the LWVNE board of directors review all bills introduced and identify priority bills based on our state issues program. League members testify at legislative hearings; meet with their state senators; write letters to the editors of newspapers; and contact lawmakers through emails, phone calls and letters. League members are mobilized via action alerts to contact their legislators. Learn more about how our members take action.
The 106th Legislature, 2nd Session (current session)
Please note: The second session of the 106th Legislature was interrupted by the coronavirus pandemic. The Legislature reconvenes on July 20 to finish the session.
- LB996 – Data collection program to improve broadband availability approved July 21. This was one of our our priority bills for 2020 LWVNE Legislative Day.
Legislative Action Alerts
To read a CALL TO ACTION on:
LB 283 With amendment 2119, requests the University of Nebraska to create an effective plan to meet the challenges of extreme weather events (climate change). (Failed to advance 7/23/20)
- LB 924 Requires ant-bias law enforcement training. (Passed legislature 7/31/20, 40-0)
- LB 1061 The Child Protection and Family Safety Act delineates the procedures used in response to a report of child abuse or neglect. (Passed legislature 7/21/20, Signed by Governor 7/24/20)
LB 1207 Adopts the Redistricting Act. (Posted 2/20)
News Releases/Op-eds/Letters to Editors of Newspapers
- Article by LWVNE Social Policy Co-Director Carol Dennison published by The Daily Record on August 12, 2020 on rural broadband funding supported by the League.
- Letter published in the Omaha World Herald’s Public Pulse on June 20, 2020, on the importance of mailing early vote by mail ballot requests to all registered Nebraska voters.
- Letter published in the Omaha World Herald’s Public Pulse on June 14 , 2020, supporting LB 924, which requires anti-bias law enforcement training.
- News release distributed on March 23, 2020, to all Nebraska newspapers via the Nebraska Press Association, “League of Women Voters of Nebraska Partners with Nebraskans for Independent Redistricting.”
1st Session (2019)
Read a letter by LWVNE Action Vice President Sherry Miller and LWVNE Health Care Director Phyllis Salyards supporting LR 170 heard by the Health and Human Services Committee. LR 170 provides for an interim study to examine the Department of Health and Human Services’ plan to submit a demonstration project waiver for the medical assistance program under section 1115 of the Social Security Act (Medicaid).
Interested in Supporting our Cause?