The state board includes officers as well as directors (or co-directors) who head eight action teams for the LWVNE. Six LWVNE action teams mirror committees of the Nebraska Legislature. Every bill introduced to the Nebraska Legislature receives a hearing in a legislative committee. The various action teams of the LWVNE work on issues at the state level. Members from local Leagues across the state and members at large are encouraged to work with these LWVNE state action teams. Contact the directors to join an action team.
Education Action Team
- Education Acting Director: Rachel Gibson
- Before each legislative session, Rachel and the action team review the bills that will be heard in the Legislature’s Education Committee. Periodically, the action team may monitor events or studies related to education.
Fair Maps/Redistricting Action Team
- Our Fair Maps Redistricting Action Team were a vital participants in the 2020/2021 census and redistricting. This team will be inactive for the next several years.
- In preparation for the 2030 census and subsequent redistricting, the Fair Maps Redistricting Action Team will reform in 2025.
Health Care Action Team
- Health Care Board Director: Phyllis Salyards
- Before each legislative session, Phyllis and the action team review bills that will be heard in the Legislature’s Health & Human Services Committee.
Mental and Behavioral Health Action Team
- Mental & Behavioral Health Board Co-Directors: Aimée Folker & Palistene Gray Moore.
- email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before each legislative session, Aimée and Palistene and the action team review bills that will be heard in the Health & Human Services, Education and other relevant committees.
- Aimée and Palistene also keep the state board appraised of new initiatives in the mental and behavioral health area such as the recent Well Being Partners mental health stigma reduction campaign.
Natural Resources & Energy Action Team
- Natural Resources & Energy Board Co-Directors: Megan York Lyons & Janelle Stevenson
- email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before each legislative session, Megan & Janelle and the action team review bills that will be heard in the Natural Resources and Agriculture Committees.
- Megan, Janelle and Toni Monette worked in cooperation with the LWVNE, the LWV of Kansas and the Great Plains United Methodists to present a webinar on “Faith, Climate Change and the 2020 Election” on July 9, 2020 (video of the Zoom below).
- Climate Change and Water website resources (PDF)
- Voting Rights website resources (PDF)
- Democracy, Values and the 2020 Election: A Reflection Guide for Faith Communities
Social Policy Action Team
- Social Policy Board Co-Directors: Jill McDermott
- Before each legislative session, Jill and the action team review the bills that will be heard in various legislative committees that touch on social policy issues such as the minimum wage, prescription drug prices for insulin and pay day lending.
Voter Services Action Team
- Voter Services Board Co-Directors: Walta Dodd & Claudia Stevenson.
- email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before each legislative session, Walta & Claudia and the action team review bills that will be heard in various committees of the Legislature that address voting and voting rights.
- In 2020, LWVNE Voter Services expanded the VOTE411.org online voters guide to include city, county and district races in all 93 Nebraska counties along with state and federal races for the primary and general elections. They will prepare a Voters Guide for the 2022 gubernatorial and congressional elections
- A statewide “Know Your Voting Rights” campaign includes a brochure that is available in PDF form in English and Spanish.